In jobs / By Darren Cooper / 10 July 2017
Job title: Technical Engineer
Reporting to: Technical Manager
Location: Datapoint House, Telford (TF1) OR Midland House, Bournemouth (BH2)
Purpose of job: To be part of a highly skilled team in a very busy environment delivering:
• New customer builds/installs and large projects
• Last line of escalation for complex escalated
• On-going maintenance and development of the Data Centres and the associated core
infrastructure and networks
Hours of work: Normal working hours are 09.00 to 17.30 with one hour
for lunch. You are expected, where necessary, to work
outside these hours to achieve your goals.
With the nature of this role, out of hours working
should be anticipated.
The job will involve both on site and off site
working, at weekends and out of hours as projects may
demand, and in addition you may be required to be on-call
one week in eight.
Responsibilities: To be able to work independently, be resourceful and demonstrate particular attention to detail.
To follow company policies and procedures.
To complete work to a high standard following company
procedures with all work being fully documented.
To actively participate and contribute in relevant
To provide support to 1st, 2nd and 3rd line/Problem
engineers and training where necessary.
To take ownership and responsibility for diagnosing,
solving and managing complex issues.
To maintain, monitor and troubleshoot the Nasstar
server and Data Centre infrastructure.
To be actively operating either as part of a group or
on your own with new customers installations and
Skills & Knowledgebase: A practical understanding of Active Directory,
networking and TCP/IP will is essential. The role
also requires a good understanding of, and practical
experience working with:
• Windows 20012 R2/ 2016 Server administration/ configuration
• AD, Advanced Group Policy • Implementation and configuration of enhanced monitoring using SolarWinds
• VMware – 5.5+ • Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 R2 / 2016 • Citrix 7.x and Remote Desktop Services • System Centre 2012 R2 / 2016 • DNS/DDNS • Microsoft Azure Public/Private cloud concepts • Hybrid cloud concepts • Clustering and SAN/NAS storage • Exchange 2013 / 2016 • Powershell • Office 365 • Windows 10 VDI • MYSQL (preferably) • Apache and/or IIS • Citrix accredited (preferably) • Microsoft accredited (preferably) • VMware accredited (preferably)
Experience and knowledge to be used in conjunction
with sound logical thinking and resourcefulness on a
• Commercial awareness – to the extent of
understanding how delivering projects to a high
standard on time enables us to hit critical
billing targets and retain happy customers.
• Fastidious attention to detail with a “right first time” mentality - to avoid time wasted in
correcting mistakes and to reduce the risk of
• An aptitude to learn, develop and adapt as circumstances or technologies change.
• Ability to think on your feet and to problem solve independently and tenaciously through research and resourcefulness.
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to change in complex and or deadline situations.
• Willingness to maintain a professional attitude and approach to all work-related tasks.
• Naturally motivated by and enthusiastic about technology
• Understand the need to cover all possible bases and go the extra mile for the customer.
• Ability to be organized, to plan and to manage own workload.
• Ability to be an effective self-starter and work unsupervised when needed.
• Willingness to travel, often at short notice, up and down the country .
• A great team player, supportive to immediate colleagues and the wider business.
• To be a positive ambassador for Nasstar.
The ideal candidate should be able to communicate
clearly and effectively in written and verbal form
with customers, colleagues and suppliers on all
technical and non-technical levels.
Clear, constant communication and the ability to make
and maintain strong, supportive cross-departmental
relationships all focused on understanding and
meeting our customer needs is key to our success.
How to apply: To apply please forward your most recent CV to email@example.com along with a small statement (no more than one page of A4) as to why you feel you are suitable for the role.