The Nasstarian
Brought to you by Nasstar.com
Share Price: Market Cap:

From Public Cloud to Cyber Security


In news / By Lydia Cooper / 04 March 2017

At the moment you can’t go anywhere in the IT sector without reading or hearing about two topics: cyber security and the rise of the public cloud. And rightly so, both are key topics that are already changing the IT landscape and the way that we consume tech today.

Public cloud computing is one of the most exciting and disruptive forces that the business world has ever experienced. It’s no longer simply a component technology bolted onto a traditional infrastructure or hosted solution to service customer-facing applications. Software-as-a-Service applications and Infrastructure-as-a-Service platforms now power the full spectrum of digital capabilities, from the core enterprise systems powering the back office, to the mobile apps delivering new customer experiences.

Nasstar has observed how the public cloud market has grown in recent years and endorses the view from industry analysts such as Gartner and Forrester that the market will accelerate even faster in 2017. Enterprises already use multiple clouds today, and they’ll use even more in 2017 as organisations look to develop solutions that connect employees, customers, partners, vendors, and devices to serve rapidly increasing customer expectations.

As a result, in 2015 the Nasstar Group innovation team began analysing public cloud services, research and developing them and then productising services for deployment. As a result, Nasstar began rolling out full end to end or hybrid public cloud solutions as early as 2015. Roll forward to 2017 and Nasstar have a number of clients using many different public cloud services to deliver a fully managed service on public clouds.

However, the adoption of the public cloud throws up the inevitable question of security. As a hosted IT provider, Nasstar will look after the security of your IT systems however, only 20% of cyber attacks seen today occur this way. The other 80%, according to GCHQ can be prevented with basic risk management via training, policies and general cyber security awareness within users.

One of the main reasons that cyber crime is so prevalent is due to its velocity for development – ransomware for example has so many different strains that it can be difficult to keep up one week to the next. Nasstar has a number of security layers in place to protect from cyber crime such as AV, firewalls, proactive monitoring as well as employing an ethical hacker whose job it is to attempt to hack our systems. However despite all these inbuilt measures, it can still be a struggle to keep up with the pace of change and as a result Nasstar has partnered with cyber defence experts, Falanx to bolster its capabilities to deliver cyber security. Via Falanx, Nasstar can offer a host of services such as Cyber Essentials training, penetration testing, proactive monitoring and Cyber Incident Response and Management services.

On 14th March, Nasstar hosted an event aimed at a selection of key partners and influencers to deliver the inside track on Nasstar as a business, the roadmap for delivery over the next 12-18 months and thoughts on the two hottest topics in the industry at the moment: Public cloud and cyber security.

The event was well attended with 15 of Nasstar’s key partners present for the morning session held at Microsoft’s Thames Valley Park offices with plenty of engaging conversations around the table. Nasstar’s CEO, Nigel Redwood presented a comprehensive view of the business and where it is headed from a strategic point of view and Group director of Integration, Ed Armitage delivered his self-titled ‘Techies view’ which used case study examples of the different types of solutions Nasstar is able to deliver, including a public cloud solution. Finally, Jay Abbott, MD at Falanx Cyber Defence scared us all witless with his stories of cyber crime and delivered some practical advice of how to protect yourself from becoming a victim.

Thanks to everyone who attended and participated in the discussions, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. We hope to catch up with you all again soon!

In the meantime, public cloud and cyber security continue their reign as the most talked about topics around, more from us on both of these subjects to come soon!

For more information on anything discussed in this article, please email and one of our Business Development Executives will be in touch.

Lydia Cooper

Lydia Cooper

Group Marketing Manager at Nasstar PLC.

Telford, Shropshire http://www.nasstar.com
Comments powered by Disqus